Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Amy Butler Hat - Class Project

I knew this class project was doomed before it began, but I did it anyway because I wanted to learn how to do it.  

The pattern pieces make a very nice hat and the instructions work well.  I learned how to do a better job of attaching the brim.  HOWEVER, they wanted us to use Amy Butler fabric (heavy) and follow their recommendations for heavy duckcloth for the interlining (to make it strong).  I knew I would detest a heavy hat, and I do.  (After a year of stewing over it I put it in the fundraiser yard sale my daughter had to raise money for their pre-school.)

It was TERRIBLY heavy, and the silly thing is that one can do it just as effectively WITHOUT making it heavy.  (Please see the one I made in December 2010, which I love:  http://nanabs-sewing-fun.blogspot.com/2011/02/beach-clothes.html )

I won't go into any more detail because I do not like to wear the hat, and I don't believe anyone should issue instructions to make such a wretched item. 

Inside (my lining was not at all tidy, but by then I didn't care; it was all too wretched)

Lovely, but HEAVY

It actually looked nice on, because it is a good design.  It looked even better on my little granddaughter.  It's STILL heavy.

(from sometime in summer of 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment