In a fit of idiocy on the day before we left for Hawaii, I decided to see if I could finish the sun hat I had cut early. (I copied a hat I had to return because it was too small.)
I hated the one we made in class because it felt like a ton of bricks on my head and the fit was not perfect either. I was determined to make a light weight, packable, sun hat. I had this fabric left from something I made for my mother-in-law back in the 1970's.
It turned out really well. I used very light weight, very stiff, fusible-on-both sides stuff for the the brim. Attaching it to the band was really tricky!
The whole crown flattens down (it is unlined for coolness), I roll the brim slightly at the edges to close my suitcase, and wow! I have a travelling sun hat!
After that 4-hour bit of insanity, I decided to try to copy my friend's dress from Mexico. I just used what I had in the house, and I can't get the proper knitted fabric for the yoke like the original had. That makes all the difference in how it hangs, but it turned out pretty well.
Miles and miles of ribbon and lace...
It's a comfy flowing cover-up sort of thing, although her's could be worn as a dress. I just don't think I would do that with this one, unless maybe it was a luau... Great for a family dinner by the pool though!