I had in mind using this pattern that I had made into a top she LOVED last summer. The pattern uses contrasting pieces as I have done in part, but putting these two designs together was not sufficient a contrast, so I experimented with pink and red--neither was enough contrast, so I switched to the turquoise (which she will like much better anyway). I did not put turquoise in a few more places (like around the sleeves) which would have broken it up more, but then it would have looked really like pieces put together in a very '50-'60's way.
I did not estimate the length exactly right with all the pieces and inserts, so the end result had to be about 3/4" too long or the bottom contrast strip would have disappeared all together.
Even with the turquoise strips, it still sort of makes one's eyes feel like they doing spirals in opposite directions. I suspect her parents won't like it all that much, but I think she will--we'll have to see.
Front with darted pockets
Strangely this looks almost better in a photo than in real life I think; unusual--it's usually the other way around.