Saturday, June 11, 2011

Do it right the first time!


Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't!

A couple of weeks ago, I did a post which included a skirt of coordinating stripes, etc.  At the time I thought I had only a tiny bit of fabric left, so I sewed it up.  Then I looked at it and thought, "that's not going to work".  However, I gave it to my granddaughter thinking I could perhaps fix the too-narrow second tier by simply shortening the first tier.  I probably could have, but then she could only have worn it this year. 

This week it came back again.  My daughter said, "she can't walk in it!"

Original post:

This is what it looked like the first go-round.  You can see the proportions are wrong.
image.png

When it came back I re-visited the leftover fabric and discovered that I did have a bit more of the stripes.  Initially I forgot I had to have them in the ruffle, too, but I was fortunate--there was JUST enough.

Then I removed the elastic enclosure stitches at the top and took the side seam out, as well as a "sort of dart" I had put on the opposite side down to the first gathered ruffle (tier 3).  I had thought that "dart" might help the perspective, but no...  (And even if it had, she still couldn't walk in it.)

I opened the hem stitching for about 3 inches and repaired the rick rack (I also had to add a new little piece where the "dart" had been (oh my, what messes I do get myself into!).

I ended up creating another "skirt"--just the size of this one and stitched them together; fixed the hem, put the elastic enclosure back in, and here it is.  NOW she can walk!

This is the "bunched" version of the much better skirt.
image.png

Here it is "laid out" as much as I could.
image.png

She immediately "twirled" it.  Success!

Between this one and the red-and-blue one, I think she has enough twirly skirts for the time being.

They say craft blogs are for "telling it like it is" and I try to do so.  I sincerely hope this will be the last post for a while which is forced to tell the sad tale of my human failings...

Have fun and be honest!  It's all ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment