Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sweet and VERY Soft


A couple of years ago I bought a really soft little knit dress for her at Costco.  It had cherries on it and little pockets and she fell in love with it--using it for a nightie.  I could never find another one.  This year I happened on a remnant of a rather similar piece that may be even lighter weight; again very soft.  I knew when I picked it up it would be a TOTAL pig to work with, and I was correct, so I hope it's worth it.

It would not uncurl, lay straight, stay in place, and it stretched like crazy.

I put ruffles at the neck because she is really into ruffles at the moment, but I'm not sure how comfortable it will be.  The neck stretched out so badly that I ended up having to draw a very thin elastic through the neck binding after it was complete.  I considered the idea of using some stay tape or something to hold the size, but I actually don't think that would have worked either--it just grows and grows every time you touch it.

I did not put any pockets because it was clear that attaching anything would cause the fabric to just tear up.  Iinstead of any other decorations I used a red triple cover stitch to hem the sleeves and the nightie.  


Finished:  you can see how the neck ruckles up with the elastic in there, but I'm hopeful that it will be right when she puts it on.  (You can see that it is impossible to make it all nice and flat and straight; it was knitted all wonky, or possibly rolled on the bolt that way and I gave up trying to make it straight, although I did manage to make the apples rows fairly horizontal.)

I do think it will be light and comfy for summer (if it ever arrives).

No comments:

Post a Comment