Sunday, May 2, 2010

2010 - Race Day Fun!


Our family is full of Formula-1 racing fans, so I decided to make some Race-Day outfits from all the yards of these fabrics I have laying around.

Mr. Precious gets a shirt

When I tried it on him, I asked if he thought his sister would like a matching one. He thought for a minute then said, "I think a dress!"

So....

rear view

This might be the cutest dress I've made to date. My new BabyLock Espire, and my refurbished BabyLock Evolve serger combine to make things SO much fun! The ruffling foot on the serger lets me gather and attach to the other fabric simultaneously--so now I don't mind gathering!

After finishing the dress I was concerned that Mr. P might feel a little slighted, so I asked my husband for some ideas about what I could make him. He pointed out that race drivers 100 years ago in England wore "flat hats". This was a bit more of a challenge than fitting his wide shoulders and long, narrow bod.

The center portion is a combination of pieces (as in a quilt) and applique, which I used to balance and break up the large squares.

Top view

Inside view shows lining of white fabric (all serged as you go to prevent later inaccessibility issues). It also shows the soccer ball grosgrain ribbon used for the band inside the hat.

"Gentlemen, start your engines!"

No comments:

Post a Comment